How to draw white on white?
1. To begin with, find that ref when the white cream on the cake does not touch the paper, but is separated by something. It can be chocolate drips, flowers, colored crumbs - anything. A simple rule, but how it helps in drawing!
2. Use the lightest shades in the boldest combination, but no gray! Gray will make your cream dead. If your white is not inedible, then go ahead. Grays and food are incompatible.
3. Check at the exit how white cream is darker than paper. Because sometimes it seems - I'll leave everything white, let the drawing be clean. But when comparing white cream and paper color, you will be surprised at many things.
Therefore, white on white is possible. And who are interested in the nuances, I have a lesson "Unicorn". There we just this topic and analyze.
The secret of sunny yellow
Anyone who draws yellow plots, inevitably faces a problem - how
not to fill the dough with flour to leave this color glowing?
In principle, yellow can be repelled from paper either with a dark outline or a dark spot. The question is what color to take for this?
Blue! Only blue: ultramarine, lilac, lavender or all this to the heap - it doesn't matter! The main thing is that something should somehow turn blue on the horizon of magical yellow.
Then, and only then all sun shades will be pure and radiant.
Well, and a few more blue-violet flowers can be thrown for contrast - then in general the picture will be a masterpiece!
How to buy marker paper? The question, by the way, is very important. Because not all paper is suitable for drawing with markers.
You need to understand that the work of paper art on which "Sketchbook" is written is not always suitable for markers. Technically, it's just a sketchbook. And what you can sketch in it - markers, pencils or paints - the manufacturer is modestly silent. Therefore, the sketchbook must necessarily indicate: for markers. And then look at other technical characteristics.
- Density. The standard for markers is 120-160 g / m2. If less, then it already requires the ability to paint in 1-2 layers. If more, then the ink consumption will increase greatly, and the drawing will not be very bright. I recommend 160 gsm - and the layers hold, and the brightness is normal.
- Smoothness. The smoother the marker paper, the better. Ideally, it should be coated.
- "Blotter". There are now papers that do not allow ink to pass through to the back side / double layer paper. This means that physically, a film is sewn into the sheet of paper that we see, which does not allow ink to pass to the wrong side / other side of the sheet. It looks very nice and aesthetically pleasing in a sketchbook. But you need to remember one point: this paper is not suitable for all equipment. It can hold a maximum of five layers. Then the film will begin to push the ink out, the colors will start to blend and unnecessary sheen will appear.
- White. Oddly enough, paper comes in different degrees of whiteness: yellowish, bluish, ivory, etc. Here, be guided by your taste and keep in mind when you form the feed on Instagram, because it is noticeable in the photographs.
If you don't want to buy a sketchbook, you can purchase a bundle of paper. In stationery stores, it is encrypted with the code expression "Paper for copies and printing, density 120-160 g, white, coated". If you voice this set of words to the seller, you will be understood and guided. These can be Xerox, ColorCopy, Kym Lux and others.
Why do you need a marker "0"?
I'll start from the beginning. The zero marker is not a blender. Although it says "Blender" on it. In the sense that he does not mix colors, they mix themselves. And the marker "0" or zero is just alcohol. I have not tried it on a tooth, I believe the manufacturer.
So why do we need a frank spiritsy? Here's why.
The most important thing is the correction. As an example: I drew a meringue, dreamed about it and drove a little to the lower white part. Well, what to do? Not at once, but in five, probably, but zero etched out the color almost completely. The marker will never disappear without a trace, but lightening - and decently - is quite real.
But! To do this, you need to draw on paper that can withstand many layers - popularly called "blotting paper". Because on a "waterproof", alas and ah, this trick with the ears will not work.
But the most interesting thing about zero is helping to create rough structures: scuffs on jeans, ice cream cups, some patterns on blue windows, I don't know what, whatever. Sometimes it is good and just to blur on top to bring the watercolor effect, or to blur the shadows in the paper.
In general, my zero is the most popular marker. With ink from it (in fact, alcohol), I dilute the refills of some light markers, because I need a lighter than the manufacturer did.
How to buy markers?
So, dedicated to beginners in marker business. ⠀
1. Trademarks: Finecolour, Sketchmerker - democratically, TouCH (ShinHan) and Copic - for those who prefer it hot. There are many other brands, but these are definitely good. ⠀
2. The tip is a brush. Here's my final and irrevocable: the brush is what we love markers for. You can, of course, draw with anything, your right. But buy a brush and you will find out what marker happiness is!
3. Quantity. The marker is not a watercolor, when I bought a purple cuvette and dilute with water from almost black to barely noticeable lilac. Markers are drawn as they are. If it's purple, then that's all it can do. No need to complain to him. The blender marker does not mix anything - it is pure alcohol, it only corrodes the color.
4. So how much? No one will give a single answer. Buy markers for the course / lesson - this is the most reliable. As a rule, teachers give training on the run, there are almost no exotics. If it is, then there is to it and the instruction goes to how to beat the originality of the color.
5. I myself! And yet for the one who wants it himself - 3 of each color. I, as a colorist, do not quite agree with this method, but it is still perfectly acceptable.
6. Practice. Most importantly, do not throw anything away in a fit of panic and anger. In the course of practice, you can attach EVERYTHING, and the drawings will become more picturesque.
7. How to draw like me. Learning to draw from my video tutorials (which can be found on this site) cannot be said in a nutshell. I'm waiting for you in class.
Where to get refs?
I am often asked where I get these or those refs. The answer is - everywhere.
Due to the fact that I draw for myself, and not for sale (that is, the issue of copyright in the photo does not bother me), I collect a piggy bank of references from everywhere.
Pinterest is the main trough. I have a mountain of folders with all sorts of different topics. Who does not know (well, suddenly), there has long been a smart tape, and it adjusts itself to what you save.
Instagram - Featured & Followers. With subscriptions, everything is clear, and the recommended one helps and throws up ideas. True, if you participate in all sorts of like times and other activity chats where you need to like something-don't-know-what on an industrial scale, it's better not to go to the recommended one.
Yandex.Images. You search for "strawberries on white" and voila - tons and megatons. Sometimes, you can find something that was not in the first two options.
Photo Stocks. What - no difference, any. Again, this is drawing for yourself, so you can. The pictures there are generally clear and sharp, what the doctor ordered - just sit for yourself and draw.
Well, in general, everything that I come across somewhere, their pictures, are sent by friends and so on.
There is one subtle point in all this - you need to monitor constantly and ahead of time. Because there are fruitful days, there is a week-long hopelessness, in different ways, in general.
But in the end, he who seeks will find!
How to draw jewelry
In addition to a box of markers with different colors (sometimes the most bizarre and unclaimed ones), the most important thing in this business is to find the right reference.
It is better if the decoration is on a white background: then there will be no unnecessary glare (of which it will roll away anyway), and you will immediately see how it will turn out in the sketchbook. The background in photography plays a very important role - not just something gray there. It sets off, adds, gives the atmosphere. And sometimes to remove it - to kill all the charm.
You need to search for a source that is contrasting and bright. Something beautiful, but in pale colors will not work - there will be as much work, and the result will not please. Because in drawing glass, the most important thing is the play of light, tone, contrast of edges. If you remove all this, the most important thing will go away.
The WOW effect. This is the most subtle moment. I usually check on my husband: I show him a few photos and ask him to choose WOW. He is a man far from art. Therefore, his opinion will be more or less unbiased. If it's not WOW, I don't even draw.
Another way is to take jewelry from famous jewelry houses: they are doing well with taste, and with wow, and with the quality of the photo.
Well, and finally - arm yourself with patience and sickly Zen. Because you will want to send everything to hell 500 times, because in these facets all shades of despair and disappointment are hidden. Take your time, wait for the white gel pen and finishing touches to go.
Then the stones and your eyes will shine.
A few words about liner
Of course, it would be necessary to write - "Review of liners". But this is so boring!
So, my basic liner rules are:
1. I do not trace the drawing with a liner, I draw on a pencil. And not a single marker died from this. Life hack - don't press the pencil with all your might, draw lightly. And if it doesn't wrinkle, then take an eraser, or even better a nag, and lighten the drawing by removing all foreign objects from the sheet of paper.
2. If I use a liner at the initial stage, then it is My Big Love Staedtler triplus, color 82. This magic something - thin, light, cold gray, does not blur with a marker. This is not a professional liner, it is not sold alongside sketchbooks like the Micron, and in general it is rarely on sale. But if you meet him, don't get lost!
3. For small details of jewelry I am helped by "two from the casket" Stabilo point 88, colors 94 and 96. Two good working grays, which are always in any city in the world for a ton of years. They are not as light as the previous one, but still confident and reliable. The marker, of course, does not blur and is inexpensive.
4. I have Micron and Dervent Graphik, but they came out of my favorites. Micron is black, and nowadays it is only the irises of the eyes to trace around the doll. And Derwent is too warm for me. However, when there is nothing else - and it is good, especially 0.3 thick.
5. In blacks, of course, Mircon. But Stabilo point 88 color 46 is better - well, I love stabilizers. By the way, they have 36 colors in the palette, so if you suddenly need colored ones, choose.
How to draw in pastel colors
If I learned to draw bright and juicy works quite quickly, then the tender pastel colors were very tight. And, although for a long time I have been drawing very well, all the same, pastel drawing was hard for me for a long time.
But now, after studying and drawing a similar plot, I can safely state the "cute rules".
1. Tonality. A dark tone, despite the fact that the drawing is light, must be mandatory - even in crumbs, even in the shadows. I am an opponent of black liner strokes, but this is the case when this method is justified.
Check - take a photo on your phone, switch to b/w mode - everything should be clearly visible. This simple method took me a decent amount of work.
2. Color spectrum. There is a rule that all colors can be mixed in the pastel version. But for such a plot, it is still better to limit yourself to a couple of three color groups - based on the rules of the color wheel. Because "all the best at once" only kills the style of work. Grays and a couple of nuanced shades in a sea of color - and a miracle how well it turns out. Is the color wheel at your fingertips? Fine!
3. Saturation. Such designs are good in whitened or grayish shades. Bright pink and turquoise may not kill the work, but give it an active cartoonish sound. And sweet is about silence, about dreams, about something mysterious. Take whitened and / or grayish colors from the palette - by the way, you can safely interfere with them, getting more complex shades.
One, two and the drawing in pastel colors is ready. God, what a sweetheart! I'll tell you a secret - it's incredibly pleasant to draw delicate pastel plots!
So, about the white ink. Pros and cons.
Frankly, you can live without it, because the white gel pen is quite convenient, simple and affordable. There is a lot of trouble with ink.
Good ink costs money. I get my calligraphy ink from a specialty store where buy it together with nibs. Feathers, by the way, are not so expensive, and you can take any holder, the most common one.
My pen is Hant 21, Kuretake ink, if anyone needs brands.
The pen must be washed and cleaned. An ordinary ink does not harm it - it's enough to get wet it with a napkin. But you need to make an effort to wash off the white ink. And the more covering it is, the more the feather gets dirty. Therefore, I have a special pen and holder for this purpose.
But ink has one indisputable plus: it draws even on a colored pencil - that is a situation, when a gel pen is powerless.
And the pen draws lines and points of the same thickness. The feather is more maneuverable, you can make lines more refined, of different widths, complex, the work looks richer.
The conclusion is that the feather and ink are very helpful, and I see no terrible reason not to use them. There are nuances, yes, but there are no prohibitions. If you want - own it!
In any case, something white is always needed - I think there is no objection?
Your own style
One of the most burning topics on Instagram is your style. How to be different from everyone else, to have your own style in the design of the ribbon, in drawings, in photographs and so on...
Indeed, now I have already drawn three drawings, it's time to start doing a unique style. But where can I get it?
Why bother, now everything is easy - open the Internet and you'll find:
- five steps how to get the first thousand of subscribers;
- ten steps how to write cool texts;
- seven steps how to take great photos;
- three steps to cool stories;
- five steps to monetize your creativity.
Do you feel it? There is a step-by-step answer to everything. There is nothing left - do it. So where's my style tutorial?
I give. Just one step - draw.
Draw every day.
Draw everything that inspires you.
Draw as you like - I emphasize, as you like it, not the audience. Whose style are you going to make - your own or custom? This is a subtle moment.
And style will come.
Not immediately and not for the first thousand times, but much later, when you forget about all these ritual dances. Only then someone from the audience will sigh with admiration: oh yes, for sure - this is her style.
How to draw lettering on a drawing with colored pencils?
Are you aware of my love for calligraphy and different letters?
The tutorial is as follows:
1. First, draw all the lettering with a simple pencil, drawing a grid and auxiliary lines for yourself so that the text is even.
2. Remember that letters also have thickness, so add it in pencil. This will change the letter spacing, so the eraser will help you.
3. Next, lead round the text with a colored pencil so that after lightening the drawing with a nag, all the crazy work does not disappear into nowhere. A nag is important! A regular eraser erases a colored pencil.
4. Draw the volume with a marker as usual. Because it should be a three-dimensional object, and not just letters in the form of a background.
5. And only then, to finish, lead round the letters with a colored pencil. Here, pay attention to the letters: which of them should be lighter or darker, depending on the volume of the object.
Oh yes - Faber Castell colored pencils from the Polychromos series. I advise you from the bottom of my heart. If necessary, they are partially erased with a regular eraser, and the marker is not blurred.
Black is just a must-have, I give it in all my lessons, giving up the liner. The rest of the colors - as your heart desires. For example, I have a decent gray-brown scale.